If you’re new to skincare and feeling overwhelmed by the numerous suggestions and chemical names thrown at you, don’t worry. Here, we provide a comprehensive beginner’s guide to serums, including what serums are and how to choose the best serum for your skin type.
Now let’s try to answer all the questions.
Serums are lightweight skincare products with high concentrations of active ingredients such as antioxidants, vitamins and peptides. Unlike other skin care products, serums have the unique ability to penetrate deep into the skin.
Designed to target specific skin concerns such as fine lines, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, dullness, acne and dehydration, the serum delivers visible results.
Superiority of serum
The serum stands out due to its powerful formulation and high concentration of active ingredients. Due to their small molecules, they effectively penetrate the skin and act on a deeper level. Some serums target specific skin layers such as the epidermis and dermis.
Choosing the Right Serum: A Step-by-Step Guide
You may find it difficult to choose the ideal serum from the many options available. To make the process easier, follow these steps:
Step 1. Identify your skin concerns.
Assess your skin and decide what specific issues you want to address. Knowing your main concerns, such as fine lines, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, dullness, acne, and dehydration, will help you choose the best serum.
Step 2. Consider your skin type.
Understanding your skin type is key to finding the right serum. Common skin types are:
- Normal skin: Good balance, no worries.
- Dry skin: I’m not hydrated enough and I feel tight and flimsy.
- Oily skin: Excess oil easily sticks to the skin, making it easy to get oily.
- mixed skin: It shows characteristics of both oily and dry skin, and certain areas are oily or dry.
- Sensitive skin: It is easily irritated and responds to many products.
By observing the behavior of your skin, you can determine your skin type. For example, if your skin looks shiny all over, you may have oily skin. If it feels tight, flaky, or scaly, you may have dry skin. Combination skin is oily in some areas and dry in others. Identifying your skin type can help you find a serum that offers the right balance of hydrating, oil controlling, or soothing properties.
3. Read the label to identify the main ingredients.
When choosing a serum, pay attention to the ingredient list. Consult a dermatologist or look for active ingredients known to address specific skin issues. Common ingredients and their benefits include:
Common ingredients and their benefits include:
- Vitamin C: Brightens skin, reduces hyperpigmentation and provides antioxidants.
- hyaluronic acid: Moisturizes the skin by attracting and retaining moisture
- Retinol: Stimulates collagen production, reduces fine lines and wrinkles, and improves skin texture.
- Niacinamide: It controls oil production, minimizes the appearance of pores and improves acne-prone skin.
- peptide: Supports collagen production, increases elasticity and gives skin firmness.
- Alpha hydroxy acids (AHA): Exfoliate your skin for smoother, brighter skin. For example, glycolic acid is the most common type of AHA.
- Beta hydroxy acid (BHA): Unclogs pores, reduces acne and controls oil production
4. Texture and Consistency:
- Consider the texture and consistency of the serum. Lightweight serums are generally suitable for most skin types and are easy to layer with other products. If you have oily skin, avoid heavy oil-based formulas.
- Remember to do a patch test by applying a small amount of the serum to an inconspicuous area of skin, such as the inside of your arm or behind your ear. Wait 24-48 hours for negative reactions before applying to face.
4. When and how to apply the serum?
There is no set time frame for applying the serum, but we recommend incorporating the serum into both your morning and evening skincare routines for maximum benefit. For magical results, consider specific serums and their compatibility.
Use serum after the first step of skin care, lotion. Apply a few drops of product and pat dry on skin before using your favorite moisturizer.
Achieving flawless skin doesn’t require a complicated routine. Remember, just using the right serum can do wonders.