Cats have an interesting trait that sets them apart from other animals. One thing to note is that their water intake is relatively low compared to dogs and humans. Many cat owners may find that their fellow cats don’t drink water as often as expected. While it is true that cats require less water than other animals, it is still important to keep their hydration needs in mind. Signs of dehydration can be difficult to detect because cats tend to mask their discomfort. Here are some common symptoms that indicate your cat is dehydrated. This will help you better understand the health of your feline friend.
- Panting in cats is an alarming sign and may indicate dehydration. If your cat doesn’t drink enough water, it may start panting to cope with the lack of water. However, it’s important to note that gasping voices can have other causes as well. Cats may gasp when they feel pain or discomfort.
- If your cat has sunken eyes, it often indicates a serious illness. When a cat’s dehydration reaches critical levels, their eyes may look sunken and their overall facial expression may appear dull. Additionally, a cat’s shiny eyes can also be a sign of illness. Dehydration can be the cause, but these symptoms can also indicate other health problems that require immediate medical attention.
- Decreased appetite and energy are important signs to look out for if you suspect your cat is dehydrated. Dehydration can lead to a decrease in your cat’s interest in food and even ignoring their favorite treats. Lack of energy makes you lazy and unable to move around. If your cat becomes too lethargic to get up, it’s important to seek help immediately.
- Repeated vomiting and diarrhea in cats can increase the risk of dehydration. If your cat experiences these symptoms, it’s important to closely monitor their fluid intake to prevent dehydration. Frequent vomiting and diarrhea may indicate health problems that require proper treatment. To encourage your cat to drink more water, consider giving them small amounts of their favorite treats. This will encourage your cat to drink more water.
- Finding sticky gums in cats can be tricky and requires keen observation. As a responsible cat owner, it is imperative that your cat learn about gum and oral health while they are still healthy. This way, you can identify future anomalies. For example, if your cat’s gums are sticky to the touch, it could indicate dehydration or other health problems.
First Published: Jul 10, 2023, 14:03 IST
Last update: Jul 10, 2023, 14:03 IST